Community Medicine department is functioning since 2008 with annual intake of 150 U. G. students for MBBS degree course and located at third floor of Medical college building. The College building is at a hand-shaking distance from the Geetanjali Hospital building. The MCI inspection for starting PG degree course has already been done & it is likely to start soon. The teaching involves the exposure of the students to understand the preventive, promotive, curative and rehabilitative care of the community at large through field visits & field work. The teaching incorporates various methods of teaching. The students are actively involved in the celebration of National & International Health related days.
The departmental activities at a glance are :
- Undergraduate teaching : Theory, Practicals & Field visits
- Out reach services : (a) RHTC (b) UHTC (c) PHCs
- Collaboration with District Health Department
- Involvement in Pulse Polio Programme
- Organization of Important Health Days
- Organization of CME, Workshops, Seminars, Journal club & Tutorials
- Community Health Education
- Helping Hospital in Quality Assurance Programme
- Participation in various Teaching & Training Programmes
- Conduction of Examinations
- Ph.D (Community Medicine)
- Ph.D (Community Medicine)
Department is spacious, accommodating faculty members for 150 MBBS and post graduate students There is a well equipped museum with charts, diagrams, models, specimens & catalogues depicting and explaining the practical aspect of curriculum of UG & PG degree courses along with rotatory internship training programme. Department is well stocked with departmental laboratory, Research laboratory and library (with latest books and journals) cum seminar room where seminar and journal club are organized. The central library of the college has significant number of latest books of the subject & allied subjects, besides good number of National & International Journals & WHO publications related to the subject. There are two demonstrations hall as per MCI norms to accommodate 75 students each. There are four lecture theatre located at first, third, fifth and seventh floor of college building respectively. All facilities are modern as per MCI norms with facility of internet connectivity.
Department is managing two Health Centers (Urban and Rural Health Training Centres) for teaching and training of UG & PG students in Community oriented Primary Health Care and Health Education & motivation of Rural and Slum masses.
The Department of Community Medicine consists of following Labs
- Laboratory for Undergraduate Students
- PG Research Lab
- Departmental Library cum Seminar Room
Ongoing Research Work
- Title of study: An Epidemiological study of prevalence of risk factors for Hypertension in Adolescent School children of Udaipur City and its adjoining rural area
- Title of study: Assessment of Breastfeeding practices in different segments of society in Udaipur City and its adjoining rural area.
Research Publications of The Staff
Dr. M. Iqbal Khan, Dr. RajKumar Patil
- Taboos and misconceptions about food during pregnancy among rural population of Pondicherry Published in Calicut Medical Journal 2010; 8 (2): e4
Dr. RajKumar Patil, Dr. H. N. Mathur
- A Study Of The Risk Factors And The Prevalence Of Hypertension In The Adolescent School Boys Of Ahmedabad City Published in Journal of clinical and diagnostic research, 2010 December: (4): 3348-3354A