Department of microbiology comprises of the clinical laboratory and academic section. Clinical laboratory is a part of the central laboratory of the hospital, providing round the clock health care service. A well equipped modern laboratory with automated systems carries out routine microbiological investigations in- Bacteriology, Serology, Immunology, Parasitology, Mycology, Virology &TB culture. Keeping pace with modern diagnostic techniques, laboratory has incorporated automated blood culture system and automated identification with drug sensitivity testing of bacterial isolates in its services. Department has collaboration with state govt. of Rajasthan in TB control programme (RNTCP center). There is an active participation of the department in hospital infection control Housed in the college block is the hub of knowledge- academic section, which has created an ecosystem of teaching and research excellence making it accepted destination among students. Teaching facilities includes modern teaching aids complemented by experienced faculty, unmatched practical laboratory, demonstrations rooms with a dedicated library. Research laboratory and museum gives unparalleled opportunity to students to explore different horizons of the subject. Regular CMEs, seminars are also included to maintain quality education to the postgraduate students..
- MD (Microbiology)
- Ph.D (Microbiology)
Culture & Suspectibility Testing
- Automation in blood culture (BacT/Alert-3D)
- VITEK-2 has been acquired, for automation in bacterial identification and antimicrobial sensitivity (with MIC values).
- Automated ID and MIC susceptibility testing for yeast fungi.
- Routine culture of clinical samples – including Mycobacteria and fungal culture.
- Antimicrobial sensitivity testing with MIC values if required.
- Laminar air flow cabinets for safe containment during bacteriological culture.
Ongoing Research Work
- Application of CHROMagar candida for rapid screening of clinical specimens for clinical important candida species.
- A comparative study for Oxacillin agar test, cefoxitine disc diffusion test and E test for Staphylococcus aureus.
- Study of different disc diffusion methods for the detection of Extended spectrum beta lactamase producing Enterobacteriaceae.
- Comparative evaluation of antibacterial activity of Spilantes calva, chlorhexidine, sodium hypochlorite, and Doxycycline against Enterococcus faecalis (under publication).
- Isolation, identification, and characterization of candidal species among diabetuic subjects. (Thesis completed)
- Prevalence and characterization of opportunistic candidal infection in pulmonary tuberculosis. (Thesis completed)
- Identification of Candida albicans by using different culture Medias and its association in premalignant and malignant lesions.
Dr. Anamika Vyas
- Prevalence of Hepatitis B Surface Antigen (HBsAg) Among HIV Sero positive patients.Journal of Basic and applied Sciences, 2012 ,8, 243-246
With a legacy of touching lives, the main focus of the department is to provide high quality microbiological and immunological services. Laboratory Services function 24 hours a day with emphasis on accuracy, precision reproducibility and prompt reporting. The efficiency of the laboratory is in meticulously following recommended techniques, and adhering to standard control protocols and guidelines to get accurate test results. It is a large hospital based laboratory which caters to a wide population of walk-ins patients from in & around the region.
Routine bacteriological cultures with updated antibiogram help in audacious clinical decisions. Respiratory tract samples, particularly bronchial aspirates, have helped us to fight back cases of tuberculosis, in the region. We have detected Cryptococcus, Phaeohyphomycosis, and candidal cases. Laboratory Services also performs special tests for diagnosis of autoimmune disorders like ANA, sepsis marker- CRP.