Pharmacology is the basic medical science in its own rights; it borrows freely from and contributes generously to the subject matter and techniques of many medical disciplines, both clinical as well as pre clinical. The department is functioning with the main objectives like- the correlation of strictly pharmacological information with the medicine as a whole, the re-interpretation of the actions and uses of well established therapeutic agents in the light of recent advances in medical sciences; and it is also emphasized on the application of pharmacodynamics to therapeutics and to acquire the basic principles necessary for the rational use of drugs in daily practice. The department is also active in the field of pharmacovigilance, increasing awareness about adverse drug reactions (ADRs) and their reporting among the health care professionals as well as educating students about its importance. Therefore this department is the backbone forming a bridge between basic medical sciences on one end and clinical medicine on the other end. To impart skills to budding doctors pharmacology is an essential area of medical profession.
- MD (Pharmacology)
- Here the students perform the experiments on the animals like rabbits and guinea pigs and see the effects o various drugs on them..
- This lab trains the undergraduate students to prepare the drugs like mixtures, ointments, powders etc.
Clinical Pharmacology Lab
- ECG, Sphygmomanometer, spirometer to see the effect of drugs and other parameters on the body systems.
- Contains spectrometer, flame photometer, analgesiometer etc. In Vitro lab In Vivo lab
Two Research Lab
Ongoing Research Work
- A study on prescribing pattern of AMAs in the cardiac intensive care unit of a tertiary care teaching hospital.
- Study of effect, and to explore the mechanism of action of ethanolic extract of lagenaria siceraria fruit in attenuating oxidative stress in experimentally induced diabetes, hepatotoxicity and depression in animal models.
- Study of boerhaavia diffusa and its comparision with pregabalin inattenuating the neuropathic pain induced by anticancer drugs in rats.
Research Publications of The Staff
- Pichholiya M, Basu A, Yadav AK, Kothari N, Tahashildar J. An observational comparative study of cost between branded medicines and generic medicines. Int J Basic Clin Pharmacol 2015;4:269-72.
- Tahashildar JB, Kota KR, Kamlekar SK, Tahashildar J, Mohanty L and Syed YA. Assessment of the Knowledge and Perceptions about Pharmacoeconomics among Medical postgraduate students and Healthcare professionals at a Tertiary care teaching hospital, Udaipur, India. Int J Curr Res Aca Rev 2015; 3(2):135-42.
- Tahashildar JB, Prabhakaran K. Effectiveness of computer aided teaching as compared to traditional board teaching among medical undergraduates of Udaipur. Int J Cur Res Rev 2015; 7(8):53-5.
- Kota KR, Tahashildar JB, Kamlekar SK, Tahashildar J, Narapogu VN and Syed YA. A retrospective study of the drug prescribing patterns in geriatric hypertensive patients in a tertiary care teaching hospital, Udaipur, India. International Journal of Current Research 2015; 7(4):14526-9.
- Kota KR, Kamlekar SK, Tahashildar JB, Tahashildar J and Syed YA. Evaluation of Anti anorectic activity of the Ethanolic extract of Lagenaria siceraria fruit in Animal model. Int J Res Aca Rev 2015; 3(4):151-65.
- Kamlekar SK, Kota KR, Tahashildar J, Erumalla VNR and Chenna S. In Vitro antimicrobial potential of Boerhavia diffusa L. root extract on pathogenic organisms. World Journal of Pharmaceutical Research 2014; 3(9):442-50.
- Mahawar DK, Aseri ML, Mathur S, Gaur S, Sankhla S, Dass B. A prospective study of comparison of efficacy and safety between levocetirizine and olopatadine in chronic idiopathic urticaria. Indian J Allergy Asthma Immunol 2014; 28:86-92..
- Yadav AK, Patel V. Drug use in primary open angle glaucoma: A prospective study at a tertiary care teaching hospital. Indian J Pharmacol 2013; 45:117-20.
- Jain M, Ahuja J. The effect of rosiglitazone on liver in type 2 diabetes patients. International journal of current research and review 2013; 5(9):30-5.
- Choudhary S, Gandhi S, Yadav AK. A prospective randomized study to compare sevoflurane with propofol for laryngeal mask airway insertion in paediatric patients. International journal of current research and review 2012; 4(14):130-8.
- Prajapati VI, Yadav AK. Drug use in ophthalmology out-patient department: A prospective study at a tertiary care teaching hospital. Indian journal of pharmacy practice 2012; 5(2):44-8.
- Subash KR, Nadepally JR, Cheriyan BV, G. Muthulakshmi Bhaarati, Kamlekar SK. The Anthelmintic Activity of Eupatorium triplinerve and Alpinia galanga in Pheritima posthuma and Ascardia galli: A Comparative Study. Journal of Clinical and Diagnostic Research 2012; 6(6):947-50.
- Nadepally JR, jayasree T, Balida MR, Kamlekar SK, Sailli Vk. Evaluation of the Anti-nociceptive and Anti-inflammatory Activities of the Pet: Ether Extract of Portulaca Oleracea (Linn.). Journal of Clinical and Diagnostic Research 2012; 6(2):226-30.
- K.R. Subash, G. Somasundaram, Nadepally JR, G. Muthulakshmi Bhaarati, Cheriyan BV, K.Sandeep Kumar. Studies on the in Vitro Anti-Oxidant Properties of a Polyherbal Formulation: Rumalaya Forte. Journal of Clinical and Diagnostic Research 2012; 6(7): 1254-7.
- John P, Premendran BH, Jayasree T, Siresha JV, Kota KR, Pasupuleti VK, Kalwa VJ, Sharma VJ. A comparative study of certain pharmacological effects of lidocaine and ropivacaine. IOSR Journal of Pharmacy 2012; 2(4):54-61.
- Rathore K, Sharma N, Aseri ML, Mathur SK and Sankhla S: Comparative study of effects two β2 Adrenergic agonists on biochemical parameters in moderate to severe bronchial asthma patients. Int J Pharm Sci Res 2013; 4(6); 2419-2426.
- Chhabra N, Aseri ML, Padmanabhan D. A review of drug isomerism and its significance. Int J App Basic Med Res 2013;3:16-8.
- Comparative study of pulmonary functions after administration of albuterol and levalbuterol in patients with moderate to severe bronchial asthma. International Journal of Medicine and Medical Sciences 2012. Yadav AK, Sharma N. Drug use in medicine out-patient department: A prospective study in a tertiary care teaching hospital. International journal of current research and review 2011;4( 6):111-8.
- Two laboratories for undergraduates meant for experimental and pharmacy with the capacity for accommodating 90 students at a time. Two demonstration rooms; each equipped with audio-visual system with the capacity for accommodating 90 seats.
- Four research laboratories meant for post graduates practical and research work; in-vitro and in-vivo studies in animals, biochemical studies and clinical pharmacology for human volunteers.
- Departmental museum is enriched with the portraits of eminent scientists and the charts depicting historical development in pharmacology, informative educational charts and models, and instruments etc.
- Departmental library with various books and journals both for undergraduates and post graduates.
- One seminar rooms equipped with audio-visual system for scientific sessions and journal clubs and seminars.
- A well maintained animal house having sufficient numbers of experimental animals of different species to be used for various research activities.
- Pharmacovigilance centre for reporting ADR from different fields of medicine is run by Department of Pharmacology which is under PvPI. Our department has animal simulators to decrease the use of animals in teaching purpose